I have always LOVED teaching main idea, and I’m not really sure why because I find that it is one of the MOST DIFFICULT reading comprehension skills to teach.
Over the years I have played around with various strategies… attempting to find that perfect main idea teaching formula.
To help my students connect better with main idea, I explain to them that finding the main idea is like walking up stairs.
You have to take it one step at a time.
- Read the title.
- What is the text about?
- What is the topic?
- Look for and carefully read the text features.
- Is the text fiction… nonfiction… ????
- Look for information, words, and pictures that are repeated throughout the text.
- Think about the most important point of the topic.
- What details or examples back up and support the main idea?